What is Social Anxiety ?
Social anxiety disorder, sometimes referred to as social phobia, is a type of anxiety disorder that causes extreme fear in social settings,It is a feeling of anxiety, fear, sometimes shyness but (is different from shyness.Shyness is typically temporary and doesn’t interfere with one’s life. Social anxiety is ongoing and debilitating) ,and discomfort in social situations. It can make people feel awkward and prevent them from connecting with others.
Social anxiety is an overwhelming feeling of anxiety, or nervousness, in situations where most people would feel comfortable or at ease. It can happen when you’re around other people, or even when you’re alone. It can stop you from doing things, talking,or even being in certain places. It can feel like you’re being judged or evaluated every time you’re in a social situation, which can make you feel like you’re going to fail or be judged.
Intro Social anxiety affects a large percentage of the population. It is one of the most common mental health disorders, and it can cause significant emotional and physical distress. Social anxiety can make it difficult to perform simple tasks such as ordering food at a restaurant or speaking to a stranger,speaking in front of an audience. For some people, social anxiety is a minor inconvenience, and they are able to function normally,but Other people experience anxiety in almost all social situations, making it difficult to function in everyday life.
Causes of social anxiety:
(Social anxiety and social anxiety disorder have the same causes, but social anxiety disorder is more severe)
While the root cause of social phobia is not fully understood, it is thought to be the product of a combination of environmental and genetic influences. Furthermore, negative experiences may play a role in the development of this condition.
The causes of social anxiety can be complex, but the most common cause is a brain chemistry imbalance. In general, the two main causes of social anxiety are anxiety and depression, which can be caused by a variety of different things. Some of the most common causes of social anxiety are:
Anxiety disorders, such as generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and social anxiety disorder. Depression, which can be caused by a variety of different things, including major life events, such as the death of a loved one, and minor life events, such as being rejected by a friend,poor social skills, and also it can be a cause of Past experiences like Early childhood experiences of bullying or humiliation may lead to the development of SAD,or maybe Family history it is uncertain whether this is due to genetics or if it is a behavior that the child has learned.
Symptoms of social Anxiety:
Signs and symptoms of social anxiety can include constant:
- Find it difficult to do things when others are around or watching , you may feel like you are constantly being watched and judged.
- Fear being criticized
- Either avoid eye contact or have low self-esteem
- Intense fear of interacting or speaking with strangers.
- Fear that others will notice you look scared or anxious.
- Fear of interacting during social situations or talking with strangers.
- Fear of physical symptoms that can cause embarrassment, like blushing, sweating, shaking, or a trembling voice.
- Dry throat.
- Stomach pain.
- Accelerated heart rate
- Difficulty focusing on anything other than physical anxiety, negative comments from others, and negative thoughts.
Social Anxiety Triggers:
Social Anxiety triggers are things that your brain has adapted or learned to perceive as dangerous.Some of the common triggers for social anxiety sufferers include:
- Having to engage with strangers or unfamiliar people.
- Parties ,events and Meeting New People.
- Stating Your Opinion.
- Start conversations.
- Making a presentation in front of others.
- Large family gatherings.
- Being watched while a new or unknown task is performed.
- Returning something at a store.
- Ordering food at a restaurant.
- Having a job interview.
- Inviting others to do things.
- Being asked to speak in front of a class or a room full of colleagues.
How to deal with Social Anxiety ?